A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
We are seeking a Health Safety Environmental Manager for our Henderson, NC location.
***Relocation is available***
Perennially, Mars has been named to the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work. Our associates make this happen and we believe that they are our best asset, therefore protecting their safety and the communities in which we operate are paramount. As such, at Mars, Safety and Environmental Stewardship are primary business values of which the company prides itself. Through development of an overall Health, Safety, and Environmental Management System Mars has driven this value into the organization. We are looking for a Manufacturing Manager to take on the responsibilities for the site HSE, which plays an essential role in this Management System through hands on execution of the Global HSE Standards, developing a winning HSE culture and driving associate involvement.
The Site HSE Manager reports to the Plant Manager, is a member of the plant Senior Management Staff and is responsible for the overall management and direction of Health, Safety, & Environment within the confines of the site. This critical role understands the interworking relationship between safety and productivity, profits, associate engagement and retention. As a site leader the HSE Manager sets the overall site HSE vision of excellence and ensures overall Mars HSE programs are vital and relevant.
What would be your key responsibilities?
- Responsible for the development, deployment of all Company HSE Standards as they specifically apply to the site.
- Develop and Deploy the site specific HSE Strategies, Programs and Plans to position the site as a best in class organization
- Delivers training and coaching to establish clear understanding by all site associates on HSE expectations.
- Sets the overall HSE vision of the site; executes the proper motivational techniques required to enliven this vision.
- Ensures investigation of all HSE related incidents utilizing specific tools to drive to root cause and identify actions to prevent recurrence. Drives completion of recognized corrective actions to prevent incident recurrence are effectively implemented, this includes execution of corrective actions developed from other site incidents.
- Serves as the site level HSE technical expert, providing technical expertise/coaching as needed in all areas and initiatives of the function including capital project review and risks management associated with non-capital modifications.
- Manages and uses a data driven approach to manage, modify and prioritize site HSE direction. Shares and uses data to influence, motivate, measure and drive continuous improvement. Upwardly communicate performance toward company goals for safety and the environment.
- Maintain data of all safety key performance indicators (KPIs). Keep these KPIs visible in the site and lead key initiatives that continuously improve these metrics.
- Coordinate 100% Employee Engagement Committees for improving safety and environmental performance. Ensure HSE systems are implemented and maintained effectively. Champions the site Behavior Based Safety effort. Although this program is associate lead, the site HSE manager will provide the team with the needed influence and guidance to be successful. Also uses BBS data to shape the overall site HSE strategy
- Execute training on site security for all associates and manage overall system to insure proper operation
- Actively participates on Site Leadership Team and effectively leads, coaches and develops operations line supervision to be effective HSE leaders/coaches in their respective positions
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor's of Science in Engineering or other Science/Industrial Safety Hygiene
- Strong manufacturing technical knowledge of OSHA requirements
- Experience with hazard recognition, behavioral-based safety, job hazard analysis and Process Hazards Analysis desired
- Must have the ability to positively influence safe behaviors and present technical material to large groups
- Effective leadership and personnel management skills
- Ability to interact with site level manufacturing/business management, community, elected officials and non-government organizations as well as, state and federal regulatory agencies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including a high level of comfort developing and delivering training and motivational presentations to all levels of associates is a must
- 5-7 years of progressive experience in implementing and managing health, safety, & environmental and/or industrial hygiene programs in a manufacturing arena.
- Experience in management of Security function is a plus.
- Recognized third party certification (CSP and/or CIH) is a plus
- Basic knowledge and experience in food manufacturing and GMP a plus.
- Experience in deploying behavior based safety systems is a plus.
What can you expect from Mars?
- An industry competitive salary and great benefits package.
- 401(k) match
- If you are passionate, a great problem solver, resilient and have a high drive for results, then we want to hear from you!
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Get email alerts for the latest"HSE Manager - Henderson, NC (Relocation Available) jobs in Henderson"