Senior Software Engineering Manager - Infrastructure
CanvaSydneyUpdate time: June 5
At Canva, we work every day to make a significant positive impact on society. Our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone, on any device and platform.
Since launch in April 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 20 million users in over 100 languages. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies in the world, with software engineering being a core part of who we are. With a recent valuation of USD $3.2bn and having achieved profitability years ago, we’re building the foundation for the future growth of Canva as we expand our engineering and product development capabilities and global footprint, with new offices set to open in the United States.
Canva’s Infrastructure Group has grown to over 70 people. Due to product demands, we expect to double the size of this group in the next 12-18 months. In order to ensure the team, platform, and business continues to scale and reliably serve our millions of users, we’re welcoming an experienced software engineering leader - focused on people leadership and management, technical strategy, and cross-collaboration to lead the Infrastructure Group.
You will be leading a group of amazing teams - with individuals who are responsible for everything from developer efficiency, security, site reliability, build and deployment, to chaos engineering.
- Be responsible for growing and developing the infrastructure engineering division at Canva bringing on board world-class talent and nurturing the progression of current members within the team
- Be a people leader who knows how to make everyone else around them smarter and more effective
- Creating a high performing and highly engaged team of world-class engineers who are building for billions
- Ensure the happiness and effectiveness of your direct reports (team leads) – coaching, inspiring, motivating, and most importantly — empowering them by giving them crazy big responsibilities, crazy big goals, and the opportunity to grow and prosper while they deliver on those goals
- Drive delivery of large-scale projects from ideation to completion within start-up time frames to ensure Canva’s overall reliability, performance, security, and stability
- Take a customer-focused approach to technical leadership, working to strike a balance between company and team priorities whilst communicating the Infrastructure Group’s priorities and strategy back to the business
- Working with other engineering leads to ensure we continue improving code quality, technical mentorship, staffing, recruitment, and retention
- Think ahead and build for the future as opposed to band-aid fixes for today – balancing the “getting things done” part of the job with long-term future-proofing of Canva’s infrastructure
- Developing both technical and people leaders on the Infrastructure team, creating a team for the present and future needs of Canva
Required Skills & Experience
- Five or more (5+) years of technical and people leadership, having previously created high performing and psychologically safe teams, where everyone is able to share their best ideas and be their best selves
- Experience at scale – either delivering large transformation projects (for example, moving a large application from single-region to multi-region in the cloud) or previous experience leading groups of engineering teams with headcounts of 50+
- Previous hands-on experience as a Software Engineer – and still in tune with software engineering fundamentals and first principles. You are a strong people leader who is still an Engineer at heart
- Previous leadership experience in cloud-based environments (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure) with a working knowledge of broad infrastructure functions – CI/CD pipelines, automation, site reliability, security, etc
- Previous experience in a SaaS, eCommerce, or other B2B/B2C online product environment is desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; with the ability to work with a diverse range of individuals from different backgrounds and with different professional and personal needs
- Be capable of leading by example – promoting Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and engineering values
Perks & Benefits
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Internal Coaches and an Employee Wellness Program
- Sponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals (see below for visa information)
Get email alerts for the latest"Senior Software Engineering Manager - Infrastructure jobs in Sydney"